Old May 9, 18, 1:16 pm
oopsz

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
What in particular would make Oahu so special for us that the Caribbean can't replicate?

Nothing.
Honestly, I hate Oahu. It's loud and crowded and dirty. Even when you get out of Honolulu it's still too busy. Your wife has a great point - it's a long flight to take with kids, and if you're committed to staying on Oahu it's absolutely not worth it. If you want the experience of the royal hawaiian, stay at the W fort lauderdale and ask for a bottle of strawberry andre with the label steamed off as your platinum amenity.

If I were in your situation, I'd leave the kids with their grandparents for a week and take the wife to Hawaii.

• Beautiful quiet beaches or pools on the edge of civilization, interesting cultural activities based on the area, doing some light hikes, treks, or even scenic drives (go see a nearby waterfall that requires a 1-2 mi. hike for example). With the little ones lagoons or tidal pools are more appealing than ever right now.
Big island. Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is a picturesque Marriott property and an absolute steal using Starwood points. The hotel is on what's widely considered one of the nicest beaches in the Hawaiian islands. The surrounding Kohala coast is lovely, with quaint towns, good food and nice people, and the big island is gorgeous if you want to explore. The drives are scenic, and hikes are beautiful, and Volcanos national park can be breathtaking. But it's just too damn far to take a young family.