FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG Gold today? You will NOT be getting Platinum after August 1st.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:38 am
scubadu

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ijgordon
And fine if you think I don't really deserve any elite benefits since they just come via CC, but that's just reality.
I wouldn't say it quite that harshly, but I do think we all have to get a bit more realistic about loyalty benefits in this new world where effectively everyone is "special" (which means nobody is special) and every child is a winner. I'm largely in the same boat as you (SPG Gold via Amex Plt, though wife is "real" SPG PLT) but I think we all have to recognize that we have met the enemy and the enemy is us. Part of why loyalty benefits are being watered down is because there are just far too many people eligible now and much of that eligibility has little to nothing to do with actual loyalty, but rather comes via highly subsidized, low annual fee credit cards.

We are seeing this across over crowded airport lounges, devalued FFPs (upgrades, etc) and I think we'll continue to see it at some point in the hotel programs as well.

So, I try to be rational in how I respond to stuff like this. Do I take advantage of credit card provided benefits? Sure, of course. But I also don't delude myself into believing that I'm an important/high value customer to that company (which btw I don't sense that you feel that way either, you seem quite rational). That just isn't realistic and this situation, IMHO, where everyone is special just isn't scalable or sustainable in the long run.

Regards