FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Another "I'm visiting Uruguay for the first time" thread
Old May 9, 2018, 8:39 am
sinfonia

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by jupper
The Four Points is very safe and you can easily walk down 18 de Julio, it's right next to city hall... But depends a bit on _what_ you want to do. Taxis are also aplenty, make sure to get an app like Tappsi or EasyTaxi to hail one. Sheraton is a hit or miss when it comes to service. One thing to note is that the Four Points would be a luxury hotel in say the USA, not the often run-down things you see in the USA. They'll also happily arrange an airport transfer.

PArking there is a bit cumbersome, so if you rent, let them know ahead of time, since there's only limited space underneath the property and the next-door parking is a bit awkward for first-timers. I found MVD easy to navigate in a car the multiple times I've rented a car there at the airport, mind you that the opening times of the rental agencies are awkard there.
This is great information. I will, in fact, be renting a car so will definitely touch base with the hotel ahead of time so that I can hopefully secure the space beneath the property. How is the parking situation in Montevideo in general? Is it worthwhile to leave my car at the hotel and take taxis around town or will I be able to park around town? I am hoping there are not those ZTL type of zones that you find in Florence, Bologna, etc. where much of the public is not permitted to drive in the heart of the town.