FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Miles to Upgrade on United {Archive}
Old May 8, 2018, 10:58 am
StuckinITH

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rmlanman
That's what I figured. Since I haven't booked yet, I'll likely just book them separately to avoid having to inevitably split them later.

Yep. R=2 at the moment. Travel disruption is definitely a concern, but we think it is a risk worth taking for this trip.
It's a risk that my wife and I take on every trip as I need a clean receipt for work. And it's trips to Asia and Europe. The one time that we missed our flight to PVG, UA could only send me on another flight that day but not my wife as I was flying Business Class. So, I just asked them to put both of us on the flight the next day. But my wife would have had no problems traveling alone.

Actually, today was my lucky day for upgrades with miles + copay. At 7:00 AM, I received an email that my waitlisted upgrade request cleared for a flight to Germany next week. Surprising, as Polaris Business was sold 32/40 and they still want $10,500 for a roundtrip. At 10:00 AM, I received an email that my waitlisted upgrade request cleared for a flight to HKG in November. Polaris Business was sold 0/40 and I did get my favorite seat. Still, waiting to see if my wife will get as lucky.