FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big Island in December - Questions and Recommendations
Old May 6, 2018, 7:21 am
OliverB

I just discovered that our entire stay overlaps with the Mauna Kea's 44th Annual Pro-Am golf tournament, which falls over the exact same dates as our visit. I'm wondering whether we should expect the hotel to be really busy as a result? I originally booked for early December to beat the holiday vacation crowds. We're booked on an award stay with a cash and points upgrade to an Ocean View room, but I contacted the hotel's room sales manager about paying the rack rate difference for a Dlx Ocean Front, which I was told would be possible but can't be arranged in advance of our stay; it's pending availability. Is there a pretty strong likelihood that the hotel will be sold out during this period due to the golf tournament?

EDIT: I've decided to change our dates so that we arrive 11/29 and check out on 12/06 in order to avoid the golf tournament and ensure (as best I can) availability in the deluxe oceanfront room category that we're looking to upgrade to. I was able to avoid paying United's change fees so it all worked out!

Last edited by OliverB; May 6, 2018 at 8:40 am