FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016
Old May 5, 18, 3:42 am
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Hotels.com is most certainly going to bill American customers in USD.

I think the issue is that IHG may quote prices for India in USD, but the hotel will convert that to rupees on the day and charge the customer in INR. (after all, you can't really expect an Indian citizen to pay in a foreign currency in their own country) FWIW I'm less familiar with India but this is how it works in South American countries with weak currencies.

Of course, it should be possible for you to choose to pay on hotels.com in INR, except there might not be an IHG rate quoted in INR.

Just another example of how IHG's BRG is a scam, with enough complexity built into the T&Cs so as to deny as many claims as possible. One would have thought that this would soften now that they're just handing out points as compensation, but apparently not.
My understanding is that the hotel's currency is the default one in which the room rate is quoted on the website. Making USD the reference currency for the Mumbai IC - notwithstanding final billing taking place in INR (converted from USD at the rate in force at the time of payment).

On the other hand the HI in Sakinaka, by the airport, uses INR as its reference currency.

So a successful claim for the IC would need to refer to a third party billing in USD, while the HI would need one billing in INR.

I may be wrong.