FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big Island in December - Questions and Recommendations
Old May 4, 2018, 3:23 pm
OliverB

Originally Posted by Arthurrs
Unfortunately the Mauna Lani Hotel is shutting down Oct 1, 2018 for an 18 month extensive renovation, which will likely include Canoe House restaurant. I love that place, we'd take a sunset walk along the beach from the Fairmont Orchid and enjoy a really nice dinner there! Alternatively there's Browns Beach House Restaurant at the Fairmont Orchid, the sunset views there are stellar, and the food excellent the two times we went. Lava Lava beach club is nice as well.

Definitely include Merrimans in Waimea in your dinner plans. Top notch! Make reservations, they fill up fast!

For something more casual, Cafe Pesto in Hilo, and Fish Hopper & Jackie Rey's in Kailua-Kona were pretty good.
Bummer! I called and it's definitely closing. I asked whether the chef would be moving elsewhere on the island during the renovation period but they couldn't say just yet.

I think I've been to Merrimans in Kapalua and I remember it being pretty good. It's definitely on my list of reservations.

Is Brown's Beach House comparable to Canoehouse? I generally tend to avoid hotel restaurants but it does look like one of the better choices around. What about Hualalai Grille at the FS? Holuakoa Gardens and Cafe?

I have a few casual lunch spots on my radar as well that seem pretty decent: Bamboo in Hawi looks more fun than tasty but I really love the setting. Similarly, Nanbu Courtyard Cafe in an old legacy building in Kapaau looks more interesting than good, but it's on my list of options for a quick lunch stop. There's Umeke's, Hale I’a Da Fish House and Lunch Wagon, and Da Poke Shack which all look very good. Suisan Fish Market and Cafe 100 in Hilo as well. Fresh Off The Grid and Gypsea Gelato for snacks. Nothing too exciting overall. Uncle's Awa Bar and Farmer's Market in Pāhoa & Hana Hou in Naalehu look like they might be good too. Kanaka Kava looks like fun for what it is; perhaps we'll have a casual dinner there one night.

It's really a shame about Canoehouse as that definitely seemed like the best food on the island. I hope the chefs and kitchen staff are able to relocate and get in a similar groove. Most of the nicer places I'm finding around Waimea and Kailua-Kona really do look like they cater to a tourist driven market. I've yet to find anything that seems special. Maybe we'll just go back to Merrimens a few times if that ends up being the bets there is!

Last edited by OliverB; May 4, 2018 at 3:56 pm