FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA vs another airline for SFO-HKG monthly roundtrips?
Old May 4, 2018, 12:57 am
UAflyer93

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
While I completely agree with you about dual-status, I think there may be two problems with your theory.

#1 . Challenges to 1k are almost non-existent these days, unless you have a really good corporate account. I'm pretty sure the highest is Plat.

#2 . Given OP's mid-year start and only 1x month to BOS, it'll be difficult to complete that challenge, and may not even be possible (even for EXP on AA) if splitting the HKG trips between AA & UA.

This scenario probably requires a spreadsheet to confirm, but I'm too lazy for that. OP should consider it though.

#1 Hmm... I know several people who have recently done 1K challenges. I think you just need to call MileagePlus or e-mail in. It's usually 35K PQM and $4k PQD in 3 months.

#2 Again, OP could throw one SFO-HKG to United to complete the challenge. A single roundtrip to HKG is 27706 PQM and certainly over $4k PQD. Just two SFO-BOS roundtrips will help him complete the challenge.

#3 Just because OP generally prefers CX timing, doesn't mean he can't do a couple SFO-HKG roundtrips on UA each year...

12 roundtrips to BOS alone would be 64,896 PQM in economy and 129,792 PQM in business. (OP mentioned that if SFO-BOS is under $1,000 in J, he can book that. SFO-BOS in J is often $399-599, so he should at least be able to book one way in J, thereby increasing his total PQM from SFO-BOS to roughly 100,000 PQM)

To requalify for 1K (in addition to EXP), he might not even need to do a SFO-HKG roundtrip on UA. But if that's not the case, he can certainly do 1 or 2 of his monthly SFO-HKG roundtrips on UA. The extra certificates and OWE/*G combo alone are worth it.

Last edited by UAflyer93; May 4, 2018 at 1:27 am