FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big Island in December - Questions and Recommendations
Old May 3, 2018, 1:37 pm
747FC

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by OliverB
I did note that I needed to research a lot more as I've only quickly browsed through photos on TripAdvisor late last night, but from what I recall, the other falls seemed more interesting than Rainbow.

To be clear, I was never weighing waterfalls against a farmers market. I'm interested in the latter because I enjoy fresh exotic produce local to the islands. It's not an either/or circumstance.
The drive to Rainnbow Falls will be be 10 min from Farmers Market. Well worth it

Originally Posted by OliverB
Our route as of now looks like this: Kona - Waimea area (Mauna Kea Hotel) - Hilo - Volcano - ???

If flying out of Kona, would it make more sense to continue along the south western circumference of the island via HI-11 from Volcano back towards Ocean View and then up to the 180/190 to Kona... or to head back the opposite way in the direction of Hilo and then north to Kona?

As of right now we only have 2 nights in the Hilo area and there seems to be an abundance of activities and sights (I'm even considering extending one night) with another 2 nights in Volcano. Based on that alone, I'm not sure whether I want to spend our last day driving all over the island. On the other hand, activities in the Volcano area seem to be more limited, so maybe it is worth driving around the full island to see new sights. Still not sure what to do and I want to get some more advice on whether an extra night in Hilo would be recommended before I book our return flights. If we flew out of Hilo, that might afford us more time to spend in the area; especially if we booked an evening departure.
the Southern route has a wide variety of ecosystems, and while not a jaw-dropping drive, is is worthwhile. Just make sure you leave slack time as traffic around Kona can get congested. (Only briefly)

Do monitor this site. https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/

Madame Pele is acting up and your volcano plans may need to be adjusted.