FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big Island in December - Questions and Recommendations
Old May 3, 2018, 9:13 am
OliverB

Thanks so much!

I did do some basic research last night -- just enough to determine our length of stay and orientation so that I could book properties and flights.

We're now staying 10 nights total from December 7th until 17th.

Here's what our itinerary looks like:

12/07-12/13 @ Mauna Kea Beach Hotel - (6 nights)

12/13-12/15 @ Shipman House Guest Cottage in Hilo - (2 nights)

12/15-12/17 @ Volcano Tea Pot Cottage - (2 nights)

We're flying into Kona (already booked) and I'm thinking about flying out of Hilo on the return leg.

From the very basic research I've done so far, it looks like we could do the following from our base at Mauna Kea:

• Explore town of Waimea.

• Manini'owali Beach at Kua Bay in Kailua-Kona.

• Manta Ray Night Snorkeling + Dolphin Tour in Kailua-Kona. It looks like Hawaii Oceanic + Kona Ocean Adventures are the two most popular outfitters.

• Tour Kona Coffee Living History Farm in Captain Cook.

• Possibly visit Kealakekua Bay in South Kona.

• Definitely visit Puʻuhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park at Honaunau Bay!

It also looks like there's a LOT to cover in Hilo and 2 nights will barely scratch the surface:

• I'd like to explore Carlsmith and Richardson Beach Parks.

• Possibly visit Rainbow Falls / Waiānuenue (more research needed on this)

• Definitely visit the Hilo Farmer's Market and maybe the Pacific Tsunami Museum

• The Pepeekeo Scenic Drive in Pāpa'ikou looks spectacular! I hope we can find a way to do this en route from Mauna Kea Hotel in Waimea.

• We will definitely be visiting the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden!

• ʻAkaka Falls State Park in Honomū looks great also. If we can find time to do the ʻAkaka Falls Loop Trail (again further research needed) to see Kahuna and ʻAkaka Falls, that'd be great!

• Hilo also seems like a better point of departure for a sunrise or sunset boat tour of the lava flows in Pāhoa. I'm not sure if this will even be possible during our visit (12/18) and I need to look into this more because I seem to remember reading that this is considered a controversial and potentially even dangerous activity among locals. Hilo also seems to be a good jump off point for Lava Tree State Monument (I'm mapping shorter driving distance than Volcano Village area to Pāhoa) which I need to look into more and determine whether it's high priority. There's no way we'll be able to squeeze all of this into 2 days!

• We might also do the Mauna Kea summit drive en route from Mauna Kea Beach Hotel to Hilo, time permitting. I'll need to look into this more as well.

Finally, we have 2 nights in Volcano which will give us plenty of time to do the Kilauea Iki Trail, explore the Thurston Lava Tube (Nāhuku), explore Mt. Kilauea Tour and drive alone the Crater Rim.

We might also make time for Paradise Meadows Orchard & Bee Farm in Naalehu.

Still to be researched, decided and mapped out are the following sights/activities in my notes:

• Kaumana Caves Park
• Liliuokalani Gardens
• Huliheʻe Palace
• Hapuna Beach
• Manini’owali Beach and Kua Bay
• Pololu Valley Lookout
• Waipi’o Valley; Waipio Lookout
• Kealakekua Bay
• Hōnaunau Bay
• Papakolea Green Sand Beach
• Mamalahoa Kona Heritage Corridor
• Sea Horse Hawaii Foundation