FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Those of you with large SPG points balances - what are you doing?
Old May 2, 2018, 1:57 am
r415

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by aero0729
Converting to Marriott Reward points are actually a great deal! Nothing to lose. There are almost no situations imagineable in which 1 starpoint is worth more than 3 Marriott rewards points.

This merger is a HUGE win for SPG customers since they now have access to thousands more hotels and a program that has decent earn and burn.

I have a stay at the Dolphin tonight again in Disney and its shocking how crappy SPG is:

$230 Spend x3 = 690 points + 250 point promo so 940 points. Forfeit check in bonus for breakfast
YUCK!
Marriott would be 230 x 15 = 3450 + 500 (check in bonus) 3950 +Promo = 4700

So yeah.. its 5x more Marriott points in some cases and the points are usually 2.5 x less vauable... Marriott has awesome earn and burn.

Sucks we are losing the check in bonus (have to trade for breakfast) once the new program starts but happy to get resort breakfast -- I think they met us in the middle there.
Um, no. This just means that SPG customers got shafted with the 3:1 conversion ratio that should've been 5:1. Between that and not matching SPG LTP w/750+ nights to LTPP (and 2MM points, but its pretty hard to get 750 SPG nights without 2MM/3 points), I have a hard time seeing this as a win. If Marriott doesn't fix the LTPP issue, I'm off to Hyatt or Hilton. You can keep your thousands of Courtyards and Fairfield Inns that I have no intention of ever staying in. I really only stay in major cities anyway. There are a lot fewer Ritz-Carlton's, and quite frankly if I'm going to pay those kinds of rates, I'd rather stay at a St. Regis anyway.