FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Former SSRs: the Baltics, Belarus and Back
Old May 1, 2018, 1:00 pm
swingaling

Programs: AA EXP
Aa92 phl-zrh

American Airlines
International Business Class (J)
Cheapo Y Fare upgraded with SWU
AA92: PHL-ZRH (Philadelphia to Zurich)
24 April 2018
Boeing 767-300 (Two Class Configuration)
N379AA
Seat 4J

Departure: 06:20PM
Arrival: 08:50AM +1

After arriving in PHL, I began the long trek from the high numbered C gates to my onward flight in Terminal A. Despite the typical throngs of leisure flyers to Florida clogging the terminal halls, I made it to the BA First Class Lounge in no time. After a quick Diet Coke, small snack and a restroom pitstop, I made the short walk to my boarding gate.

Boarding began a few minutes later and I was quickly ushered on board the crown jewel of the AA fleet. The stately and luxurious Boeing 767-300 was ready and waiting for me. At a spry 25 years young, this bird will soon be destined for a boneyard in New Mexico. It can't happen soon enough.

N379AA
View from my seat while waiting for everyone else to board.

A330
This is the only time I've been jealous of folks in an A330, Envoy Suite be damned.

Thompson Vantage Seat
This was my first experience with the illustrious Thompson Vantage seat. The reviews were spot on. While it's certainly not the worst J seat I've flown (looking at you TG), it's far from the best. The design is dated and quirky. For instance, there's no built-in IFE, just the clunky tablets handed out by FAs. And the seat controls are in a location that makes it extremely easy to operate by mistake.

It's a far better seat than anything in Y, but I didn't love it. However, it was more than adequate for an 8 hour hop over the Atlantic.

Menu

Dinner
The meal service commenced shortly after take-off and was a pretty efficient affair.

Obligatory drink service with warm nuts. Since I wanted to catch some sleep, I eschewed my customary Diet Coke and went for a seltzer instead.

First Course
I'd had this manchego and melon salad on my ORD-NRT flight last September, but it was still good. The salad was also tasty, though I'm not a huge fan of hearts of palm.

Main Course
Went with the chicken. It was pretty tasty. The risotto wasn't very good; it has a very strong earthy taste that I didn't care for.

Dessert
Had the tart for dessert and it was also pretty good. Solid B- thus far.

After dinner, I took some Bendaryl and got a solid four hours of sleep. The seat was pretty comfortable for sleeping and the chatterboxes across the aisle eventually shut up, so I could get some rest.

Breakfast
I awoke in the midst of the breakfast service, so I ordered the eggs and ate a few bites. The eggs, potatoes and fruit were decent. The biscuit was excellent, but the cinnamon roll and sausage were not good.

Swiss Alps

Don't fail me now!

Amazingly green in CH. It seemed to be at least a month ahead of the Northeast US, where it was still cold and gray out.

The landing and immigration were uneventful.

Upon arrival, I made my way to the landside pay showers where I pay the princely sum of 15CHF for the use of a shower room. Not a great value by any measure, but totally worth the cost.

Last edited by swingaling; Sep 10, 2018 at 11:55 am