FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA vs another airline for SFO-HKG monthly roundtrips?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:54 pm
NoLaGent

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
I'll repeat myself one more time with a slight change: Do CX (credited to AA) for SFO-HKG. As soon as you hit EXP on AA, do a status challenge to 1K on United and use that for SFO-BOS which is often sub-$1k in J. (You may have to throw in one SFO-HKG trip on UA to help you complete the challenge.)

Having both statuses is extremely handy when redeeming miles. (Sometimes only OW has availability going somewhere, but United has it coming back.) Once you have EXP/1K, you'll also be earning points on both programs and will have twice the systemwide upgrades.
While I completely agree with you about dual-status, I think there may be two problems with your theory.

#1 . Challenges to 1k are almost non-existent these days, unless you have a really good corporate account. I'm pretty sure the highest is Plat.

#2 . Given OP's mid-year start and only 1x month to BOS, it'll be difficult to complete that challenge, and may not even be possible (even for EXP on AA) if splitting the HKG trips between AA & UA.

This scenario probably requires a spreadsheet to confirm, but I'm too lazy for that. OP should consider it though.