FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA vs another airline for SFO-HKG monthly roundtrips?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:29 pm
UAflyer93

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by th14
This is good advice. But correct me if I'm wrong. This will only work for one year, right? I don't think UA will keep status matching.

Also, and I only bring this up b/c OP seems relatively new. If your company will let you handle your own bookings and pay with your own credit card, make sure you get that sort out. At roughly $70k spend (internationals plus domestic), that's another 210k points on Chase with a CSR or 350k if you're booking at American Express with a Platinum. And Amex has the International Air Program if you book through them. Cathay is part of that program. I was able to get an additional $500 off an already discounted La Premiere ticket. Its only useful for Biz and F tickets so worth a call to have them price it.

If you're bound to corporate travel dept, then at least get the hotel credit card sorted out. Plenty of good options in HK to be racking up some points.
The status challenge will only work the first year, but it will help him get up to speed to the 11x multiplier as quickly as possible. After the first year, it sounds like he does enough travel to maintain status on both airlines.