FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changing ticket and referring question ....
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:03 am
lindaiah

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
This one should be simple...

Ok, I guess I just want verification from the experts (you) that I've got the right idea:

Have RT IAH-LAS-IAH Wednesday returning Saturday. I now need to stay until Monday. Went to make change and they want $171 + $200 change fee (or more, depending on which flight I choose...this is the cheapest one), even though the entire ticket (Wednesday-Monday RT) were I to buy it right now would be about $45 more than I paid for my original RT. This may have something to do with the fact that I did an upfare on the outbound and am in F, but I don't know. Either way, the fare difference is too large compared to the original price.
Looked at One Way LAS-IAH for Monday flight I'm interested in: $176 total. Shouldn't I just buy that and then cancel the original return on the day of (or day before?? does it matter when one cancels the return?)

Thank you!