FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Finally some free food in Y on long haul Hawaii (non-WestCoast) UA flights 1 Aug 2021
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:24 am
IAH-OIL-TRASH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
American provides free food, beer, wine out of DFW to Honolulu and Maui. I guess UA feels their profit margin is better w/o providing same. Very passenger-unfriendly not to provide sustenance gratis on long-haul routes.

I guess UA figures travelers originating in Houston (5+ MM people in metro area) aren't gonna fly to Dallas for a connection to a flight w/ free food/booze. That argument doesn't extend to ORD, where people have a choice of UA or AA to Hawaii. And DL provides food, beer, wine, AND SPIRITS out of ATL/MSP/JFK to Hawaii.

"If you fly the route that much, you should be 1K, right? Then you'd eat free and get at least 1 drink":
Doesn't help if you're travelling w/ family on vacation.

Be interesting to see UA's calculations (I'm sure they've looked at it). Cost of providing free food/booze two-ways on a round-trip and loss of passengers who will book based on free food/booze must be offset (in UA's eyes) by food/booze sales, weight/catering savings, etc.

I'm think UA double-caters flights to Hawaii ex-Mainland. I don't know what DL/AA do for long-haul flights, but if they provide free meals/booze both ways, they might be using local catering for the return. .

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 30, 2018 at 8:51 am