FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:29 am
rny321

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by JBord
So, if it's based on elite level and not nights stayed...

...if I were Platinum, with 50 nights per year, for 9 years with Starwood, I would only need 1 more year for LT Platinum in the program, but since I was in the Marriott program, I need to start over?

I know that's a rhetorical question until Marriott provides some clarification, but I've read it the way you have as well, and that's what confuses and concerns me. I'm not suggesting SPG'ers should get Gold, I'm suggesting we should all get credit for Platinum years, as that would be consistent with the new direction. In all honesty, I don't think I have 10 years of business travel left in me, so that would cause me to cut all ties with Marriott, as LT Gold (old program) was the reason I have the credit card and have stayed fiercely loyal. I can't make up the points I need this year, so there's no chance of getting it at conversion. Just doesn't seem well thought-out, IF it's based on status level and not nights.
I wouldn't worry about it for now. Someone with an Amex Platinum or Centurion card or someone who spent $30K on a SPG card received SPG Gold, so counting years as a MR Platinum the same isn't reasonable. Of all the aspects of the conversion, this one is the one that makes the least sense and the one most likely to get adjusted.