FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA vs another airline for SFO-HKG monthly roundtrips?
Old Apr 25, 18, 9:58 pm
fumje

Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis View Post
Here's some imput as a very requent flyer of SFO-HKG, and HKG in general. Lots of flights on UA and Cathay, AA and JAL.

I used to Fly 100% AA/OW, all credited to AA, was EXP/CK. Devalued the program + I moved to a station with no AA service, switched to UA/*A credited to UA. Now moved to Chicago, have choice of both. I got a lot of value over of the years out of AA's program, tons of first/busines class redemtions at good times, including 2 rtw F redemtions for my birthday 2 years in a row. Now, UAs program gets me more value, though with more buisness class than first class redemtions than the good old days and more expensive to boot. Still good value though.

Honestly, I like Polaris over Cathay's J,
plus cooler cabin and better bedding is nice, but the more flexible timing on the Cathay flights options and WAY better lounges on the HKG side may swing it that way for you. I have OWE and *G so I am covered either way, but imho UA is not that bad in J.

Hope this helps!
Without addressing the main discussion, I think this is an underappreciated trait of UA.