FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:51 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by viplan
I'm definitely under the 5/24, probably at 0 in the last two years since I think Amex doesn't count.
I'm not sure if you're counting correctly if you think Amex doesn't count. Chase 5/24 doesn't count pulls (inquiries). Chase looks at your credit report for all bank cards that show an "opened on" date in the past 24 months. It doesn't matter if you closed them. If they appear as accounts on your credit report and have an "opened on" date in the past 24 months, they count.

Amex stopped backdated in early 2015, so by now all Amex cards that were opened in the past 24 months have a true "opened on" date.

The only cards that routinely don't count are business cards, since most banks (with the main exceptions being Discover and Cap One) don't report their business cards to EX/EQ/TU as long as the account is "in good standing".

If you want to verify where you stand with respect to 5/24, the easiest way is to go to Check Your Credit Report & FICO ® Score Experian and sign up for the free report-only account (scroll down to see the free-forever version of the signup). Experian, unlike Credit Karma, lets you sort (both open and closed cards, which are listed separately) by "opened on" date, making it very to count. Just don't believe the "1" always being day of the month, that's a bug on the Experian website (where it shows, for example, "July 1" instead of either just "July" or the correct day in July).