FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Some FTers DO the Inaugural Worlds Longest Flight SIN-EWR vv 28 June 2004 (long)
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:00 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
At EWR - an eventful few hours, part II
28 June pm (EWR timezone)

So I head down to the reception - my arms getting longer by the minute due to too much carry-on. There is a party going on with drinks, nibbles etc. Given the time there arent too many passengers (after all it is still well over 3 hours to departure) but seems to be press, dignitaries and other invited guests. I sign the card and then see the nice SQ station manager again who apparently has been trying to find me ever since the customs & immigration hall.

He then gives me my next pleasant surprise - SQ has arranged for a nearby hotel room so we can shower/change/freshen up/etc, due to their being no showers in the terminal. Not only that but they have taken care of checking in and out, and arranged for a car to take us the short trip to the hotel so we dont have to wait for the shuttle. Another big ^ to SQ.

Eventually StarG and CGK make it through with their bags, and we are joined by the non FTer doing the double inaugural - a nice woman from Perth who like me flew to/from SIN with the nearest connecting flights to make one really long trip.

I'll spare you all from details of the hotel rooms but suffice it to say an hour and a half later we were feeling rather refreshed and with the added bonus that we would not be stinking up the plane for EWR-SIN flight.

Although this severely ate into the time available to visit lounge (and meant no chance of using Virgin lounge), I for one was more than happy to have the opportunity to freshen up.

On returning from the hotel, the others finished checking in for the return flight and we headed off for security. I had forgotten I had moved my cellphone from my carry-on into my pocket so was buzzed several times going through as one item after another was removed to see if that was causing the buzz. In case anyone is getting horrible mental images - I wasnt undressing but rather removing shoes, watch, etc. Eventually got to the cellphone - ah no buzz.

While putting everything back in place the security people were having a discussion about one of the carry-ons. Apparently the commemorative pewter thingymabob was showing a strange profile and so out it had to come. Eventually they were satisfied, so with bags repacked it was off to the SAS lounge.

The lounge seemed typically SAS in my experience (not that I'm an expert) - fairly basic and small but has most of what you need. It was quite crowded. I posted a quick half-way message on FT then back to talking and drinking with the others. Stevetas soon joined us, but there was no sign of Sailaway75. Soon enough time to head to the gate where there were a lot of passengers milling, plus some more journos, tv crews and dignitaries. We heard a page for Sailaway75 and we later found that his flight from YUL (Montreal) had been cancelled so he nearly didnt make it.

While waiting for the ribbon cutting ceremony, the SQ station manager introduced us to some journalists as the 4 nuts (he was far too polite to use that term) who are doing the double inaugural. Lots of questions filled in the time nicely until we were to board. At the last minute I was asked to change seats (as were several others including StarG and CGK). Since the new seat was still bulkhead I was more than happy to move. After the boarding pass check we were given another Royal Selengor commemorative pewter thingymabob. By now my hands were very full, so the SQ station manager kindly carried it aboard for me.

Next - the return flight.