FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:00 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by craigdthomas
Just an update, I've just had BA on the phone stating that my claim is not valid as a medical emergency and off loading bags is an extraordinary event and not eligible for time delay. Therefore the portion of time that is eligible is only 175 mins and therefore no compensation.
I would see the baggage offloading as not extraordinary, that's inherent. And on the second part of the Extraordinary Circumstances test, fully under BA's control. Taking a bag off a flight can take 5 minutes. If you feel strongly about it, then think about asking for a CEDR deadlock agreement or MCOL. Your case would hinge on the amount of "wasted" time after the medical issue was dealt with, the time under BA's - or its contractors' - control.