FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:37 pm
jjmoore

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I do seem to have a higher success rate with GPUs.
RPUs take a number of attempts. I think the problem with the RPUs is that as they are domestic flights and generally through hubs then GS rank higher than me for priority but have been #1 or #2 on my most recent RPU flights.

So in fairness if you are talking about RPUs do agree more often at the gate, and due to discussions on FT I watch the app if I am #1 on the UG list. However, I have had a couple of RPUs take a week or so out.
On domestic or regional routes, GPU's and RPU's are no different in the priority they give you. They basically are waitlisting you with the same priority. The ultimate priority within the same fare class and UA status is when the instrument is applied. If you apply your RPU in W class before another 1K applies a GPU for the same flight in W class, you will still clear first. It does not matter what type of instrument is used... only when it is applied for the tie-break (if status and fare class are equal).