FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best warm weather spot for birthday in Jan 2019
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:21 pm
TravelinSperry

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Question Best warm weather spot for birthday in Jan 2019

Hello all,

I am putting together a birthday party in January in 2019. I've got people who will be coming from all over the States (SFO/LAX, DEN, MSP, EWR/JFK, and MIA). I'm trying to find a great warm locale that is easy to fly into where flights are relatively inexpensive (think $600 rtrp or less). I did my research and found the following spots:

Saint Maarten.
St Thomas (perhaps St John). Avg weather in Jan 84/73.
Cabo San Lucas. Avg weather in Jan 77/57.
Cancun/Playa del Carmen. Avg weather in Jan 82/73.

I'm immediately removing Cancun/Playa del Carmen since it is having issues with safety at the moment. As an avid traveler I'm not worried but the gathering will include many people who don't go out of country often and their spouses.

That leaves the other 3 locales. Saint Maarten and St. Thomas/St John, were all hit by Hurricane Irma. I don't know how the rebuilding is going in these areas. If restaurants and activities won't be rebuilt by Jan 2019... I'd rather avoid. However, Cabo seems a little cold for "beach" weather and related activities compared to the others.

I'm going to try to get a large villa for the group (8-12 bedrooms), hire a chef for a one or two of the 3/4 nights. And the other nights we'll all go out to some local restaurants, and during the day do some activities in the area.

Based on all this - should I have a preference? Or should I just let villa price/availability decide?