FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Spring Break with WT73jr at Vail Colorado, USA via Alaska Airlines
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:59 am
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Spring Break with WT73jr at Vail Colorado, USA via Alaska Airlines

Spring Break with WT73jr at Vail Colorado, USA via Alaska Airlines

YVR-SEA-DEN-SEA-YVR (Alaska 2 for 1 companion fare)

Preparation:

Every other year, I try to get WT73 jr out and about to experience some travel. I traveled a lot growing up with parents from the United Kingdom and Singapore so summers for me meant traveling to Asia or Europe.

Since we spend many weekends on the hill at Whistler, most of our winter time is spent up there. Sometime last year, Vail Resorts purchased Whistler Blackcomb and brought their vision of skiing to our home hill. This has been a much more corporate exercise since some of the decisions seem to be less about skiing, and more about returning value to their shareholders. The rumour about reducing the terrain parks from two to one sent waves throughout the Whistler valley. One of the benefits was that the ski passess that we had purchased at Whistler Blackcomb would be allowed to be used at Vail Resorts at no upcharge.

We traveled over Spring Break; a peak travel period. We used an Alaska Companion Fare provided with the Canadian MBNA Alaska Airlines Master Card for two tickets from Vancouver to Denver via Seattle. I had a large amount of Starpoints and with the program’s future looking less bright than it used to be, I exchanged them over to Marriott Rewards and redeemed a 7 day Flights and Nights package.

In this Report:

Westin Wall Centre Vancouver International Airport
Alaska Airlines: Vancouver - Seattle
Alaska Airlines: Seattle - Denver
Vail Marriott Mountain Resort and Spa
Vail
Alaska Airlines: Fort Lauderdale – Seattle
Alaska Airlines: Seattle – Vancouver

Links to my previous reports:

A 72 hr trip to Miami via the St Regis Bal Harbour & Miami Beach on Alaska Airlines Jan 2018
Polynesia Part II: Easter Island and Mexico City via LATAM Business Class and Alaska Airlines First Class, Sept 2017
Summer is a state of mind; Kaanapali, Maui, via Alaska Airlines with my 13 yr old son, August 2017
Fiji, New Zealand and French Polynesia via Fiji Airways, Air New Zealand and Air Tahiti Nui Business Class (AS, Y, FJ J, NZ Y, VT Y, TH J, AA J), June 2017
Mileage Running to New York via Delta Airlines First Class for Alaska MVP Status (DL J), Dec 2016
Havana and Varadero Cuba via Westjet Holidays from Canada (WJ Y) Nov 2016
Malta (and the island of Gozo), Venice, Italy and Oktoberfest in Munich, via Air France Business Class (AF J, LH Y) Sept 2016
South Africa, Namibia, Victoria Falls, Mauritius & the UAE via Emirates First, Qatar Business (QR J, EK F, BA J, SA J, SW Y) April 2016
Dodging Volcanic Ash: A family trip to Bali / Singapore with my 11 year old via Asiana, KLM and JAL Business Class (DL J / OZ J / KL J / JL J) July 2015
RTW#3 (J): Vietnam, Maldives, and Tackling India’s Golden Triangle via Air Canada, Singapore, Air India, Turkish Airlines Business Class. (AC/OZ/SQ/AI/TK), May 2015
Experiencing flying as a "Non-Rev", Australia Wine and Beaches, (AC J/Y, QF J) November 2014
Alaska Airlines First Class to Las Vegas, and a stay in the Aria Sky Suites “Penthouse” (AS F), August 2014
Family trip to Kenora Lake of the Woods Ontario via Air Canada Business Class (AC J). August 2014
Cathay Pacific First Class to New York, a sombre visit to the 9/11 Memorial Museum & 4 days of eating in NYC. (CX F) May 2014
RTW #2 (J) The Khors of Oman via Japan, Poland & UAE on ANA, Asiana, Thai Turkish and Lufthansa Business Class. April 2014
South Africa, Safari in Maasai Mara Kenya, & Mauritius via United, South African, Swiss and Air Canada Business Class (UA J, SA J, XAK, LX J, AC J) Nov 2013
A family trip to Westin Playa Conchal, Liberia Costa Rica, (UA Y) Aug 2013
Buried Treasure: UAE Empty Quarter and Beyond to Huvadhoo Atoll, Maldives (UA Y, EY J/Y, Q2 Y), Nov 2012
RTW #1(F) The Time Share Presentation: Spain / China / Thailand. (AC J, OZ F, TG F, LH J/F, AC Y, May 2012
A visit to Macchu Picchu and Valle Nevado, Peru and Chile. (AC J, LA Y) Sept 2011
Travel after the Revolution of January 25, 2011. Egypt. (MS Y) May 2011
A Step Back in Time: The Twilight of Burma, a visit to Myanmar (MI Y) Sept 2010

Last edited by worldtraveller73; Apr 22, 2018 at 7:21 pm