FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG Gold today? You will NOT be getting Platinum after August 1st.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:25 pm
theOtherHolmes

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I got Marriott Gold via SPG Gold, and I'm taking the Marriott website at its word: Marriott Gold Elite will become Platinum in August. It's plastered all over the place in print without caveat.
This is actually the most logical and reasonable interpretation for a lay person who does not read any discussion posts regarding this whole merger.

That is, the rewards programs include by and large members who are not readers on FT or of any of the frequent reward blogs. These people may include highly valuable customers, such as my friend who is a business executive that travels often, stays at well appointed SPG or Marriott rooms but has not even bothered to link his SPG account to Marriott.

These people will not obsess over any details regarding which status is earned or matched. They will take the printed content on the Marriott website at face value, as they should, and understand that if they are Gold, they will become Plat in August. They will not pause to think, wait a second, but my status comes from a credit card or an airline matching program, what then?

Common business sense tells us, at least for 2018, all MR Golds will be Plat under new program. This is the representation made by Marriott to the public at large. This will most likely be honoured.