FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hertz President's Circle Member Experiences (2017-Onward)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:36 pm
aCavalierInCoach

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by mag_nate
Had an eerily similar experience this morning at MSP after status matching to President's Circle, however I am 23 so that may have something to do with it. I booked an intermediate because we needed additional room in the car for multiple passengers. Warning, long story ahead.

My name was on the board as "see desk." I walk into the desk area, smile at the agent and the conversation goes as follows:

Agent: "What?"
Me: "The sign says see desk next to my name."
Agent: "Okay? How am I supposed to know that?"

Great start... anyway, she pulls up my info, tells me that since I am under 25 I need to pay the young renter's fee. I was on a US Government CDP (official travel), so this fee is unambiguously waived per the government contract in place. I asked her to please call her manager, who literally read the CDP terms and conditions out loud on speakerphone, and said "yeah no waiver here." Whatever, I say that I'll just get it taken care of later this is such a waste of time and we're on a schedule. Dealing with my agency's travel agent on this now...

Then, she says that I am allowed to choose any car from the gold area. I reply that I am president's circle status and she says "not according to the computer you're not." I showed her my phone that clearly stated I was President's Circle (and I just checked my account online which is unsurprisingly showing President's Circle). She writes "GOLD" on my contract, underlines it twice, and tells me that I am allowed to choose from the gold area only. I ended up with a dirty Camry with 27k miles on it.

I probably could have fought this more at the desk, but I had a client with me and we were on a tight schedule with a long drive ahead of us. This lady was so bad, though, that I have no intention of ever using Hertz again unless it is the absolute last option. For comparison, two weeks ago in Vegas my boyfriend and I booked a premium with Avis (where I'm lowly preferred plus based again on status matching) and were offered a Mercedes GLE350 with 6 miles on it for an extra $20/day and the agent was lovely. I understand I'm being a bit dramatic here, but the experiences were night and day and I will not forget.
Something is screwy with the ultimate choice roll-out and it is a sierra show for PCs. I had a W6 (Mustang GT) booked out of PHX today; get carfirmation to "go to gold" section. None of the wandering (seemingly 3rd party?) people on the garage floor can help and they direct me to the desk (great...). Guy at desk tells me I can pick anything from the gold section. I tell him, no, I am PC, and I rented a mustang -- the PC section is full of F cars and infinitis.

End up regretting pressing the issue. He assigns me a mustang that was clearly meant for someone else (different name still on the spot when I got there). 30K+ miles. large dent on the side. oil change warning every 2 minutes. Inop blinker. Guy at the car return could not have cared less.

Bet you ten bucks they write me up for the dent even though I filled out a damage form at the gate before leaving. I'm done, Hertz.