FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG Luxury AMEX vs. Hilton Aspire AMEX
View Single Post
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:20 pm
diesteldorf

Originally Posted by ksh937
The Aspire has a $250 resort credit for incidentals (food, spa, etc. i.e. NOT the actual room charge)
The $250 Hilton Aspire resort credit can be applied to the actual room charges. However, it is only valid at around 190 specific Hilton resorts. www.hilton.com/resorts

I am assuming the $300 SPG Luxury Card credit can be used at any property. Personally, I was easily able to use the $250 Aspire airline credit and also the $250 resort credit, so I feel like I have already earned back the $450 annual fee. Plus, I have a weekend anniversary night that can be used at most Hilton properties---I haven't tried redeeming mine yet. I am sure Hilton may add a higher tier at some point, but my Diamond status earns me free breakfasts and lounge access, so I'm satisfied.

Provided you can redeem the $250 airline credit and resort credit, you are basically getting a free weekend night on the house.

As someone previously stated, the Amex Luxury Card isn't a bad deal, since most SPG/Marriott Loyalists will probably have no trouble using the $300 credit. Assuming the 50,000 point anniversary night nets you more than $150 in value, you've already made up the $450 annual fee. However, the Hilton Aspire is a better card for my personal circumstances.

At this point, I am curious if Chase will alter the benefits of the Ritz Carlton Card. I thought I remembered reading that they may also be adding an anniversary night. if that's true, I might put that ahead of the SPG Luxury card, since it also offers unique travel and airline credits.

If I was considering another Amex Card, I might even put the Platinum card ahead of the SPG Luxury card, since the $200 airline credit and $200 UBER credit can bring the annual fee down to $150, equal to that of the SPG Card. Plus, the Platinum card should also get you Marriott/SPG gold.