FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Our records indicate you have not returned the car"
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:12 pm
pradyot

Angry Hertz Rental Car key drop scam

Hi Guys ,

Need your advice and help .
I rented hertz car from a Hertz Local Edition , took the car on Friday and had to return it on Sunday (when the location is closed)
They had a Key drop facility ,where i dropped in the keys on Sunday .
I was expecting Hertz to send me the bill by Monday morning , but when the bill did not came in by 1PM , (Monday ) i decided to call the Hertz location from where i rented .

Initially the guy said the some cars went for Oil change , once they are back then they will close the rental .
After 2 hours when i did not received any call then i decided to call them again and they said they are not able to find the keys to the car and (car never went for Oil change)
I decided to go and talk in person where i asked the manger to open the drop box and he opened and told they are not able to find the keys , and asked me whether did i drop the keys .
I replied them saying that i did drop and if the car is standing on their premise then why will i not drop the car keys post completion on rental .
Mostly i suspect they lost the keys and now want to charge me for that .
I asked him to check the camera , which they said they dont .
Finally he agreed to not charge me for lost keys (which is not my mistake ) and towing to get the car opened for taking the reading .

On Tuesday when i called them again one of the associate said they will charge me for the keys . When i again went to their location they guy was not there but another lady agreed that it does not make any sense that i drop the car but lost the keys .

I also called helpline they also agreed that i should not be charged for this .

Issue is everyday my credit card is being authorized since till the car does not gets towed the contract is technically open under my name .
Plus every time i call the location i get to hear different versions .
Is there anything what i can do to escalate this ? As this is quite frustrating .

Any help will be appreciated .

Regards