FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex Platinum & Membership Rewards SPG/Marriott benefits beginning August 2018?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:41 pm
RumPatrol

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Currently SPG Gold matched to Marriott Gold via Amex Plat (and also have club lounge access at Sheratons via SPG Amex Biz). If I lose lounge access, and that's where this is headed, I will not be keeping my Plat card. I've been happy to pay the $550 plus $175 for AUs so that we all got Marriott lounge access, but w/out that benefit we just don't get enough value out of the card. I'd rather pay $29 per visit to the DL SC w/ my DL Amex than fork out $725/year for the Plat that gets me basically nothing at the Marriott chain nor travel insurance nor car rental primary insurance and duplicates PP as do all the premium cards. I use uber maybe 3x/year. I just don't see the value. I'll be moving all my spending over to CSR and Hyatt, where I at least get 4 club passes per year.

Edit: just watched TPG video where Flueck very specifically says SPG matched to Marriott Gold will NOT get Marriott plat in August. Will remain gold. TPG pressed him and answer remained the same. This seems to contract Flueck's comment moments before where he says basically "if you have Marriott Gold today, you'll be Marriott Platinum in Aug. We don't want to take any of your benefits away for the year." So which is it?
I fly Delta so much that the $550 (less when offset by the other benefits) makes the Amex Platinum worth it for the SC access alone, but I have to agree that $550 starts to look pretty steep if it indeed remains gold and gold becomes this devalued. I prefer SPG/Marriott properties and I don't even really utilize free breakfasts all that much but the late check-out and lounge access is huge for me.

I doubt I'd give up my Platinum, but at the very least when my AF comes up in a few months I'll probably have a retention offer conversation and frame it around this devaluation for sure.