FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta FF, after the southwest engine explosion, will you sit in a different spot?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:09 pm
jrl767
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by daloosh
You can change your habits to avoid row 17, but assuming it's a repeatable accident, you'll only be avoiding that particular problem, an uncontained engine explosion on a 737. Can you model where the pieces would fly on a 757 or a 767 or 777? I'm sure it also would depend on airspeed and wind shear and other things, too. ...
looking at the photos, I’ll speculate there’s a very high probability that a blade in a fan or high-pressure compressor (HPC) disk failed

basic physics says that any windows even with or forward of the first stage of the fan (typically about a foot inside the lip of the nacelle) are extremely unlikely to be struck by debris, and any windows aft of the overwing exits are mostly if not completely shielded by the wing

I think most modern jets have additional structure (rib and stringer doublers, thicker skins, etc) between the windows in this part of the fuselage, but I don’t know if windows have actually been strengthened