FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Complimentary upgrade after international segment
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:38 pm
milesandmoremiles

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by razzaba
Just curious if this has happened to anyone else, as I’ve noticed it three separate times this year and it seems like, now that I think about it, similar things happened last year. Here is the situation...

I am an Executive Platinum and thus have complimentary domestic upgrades, of course. I’ve taken three round trips to Asia this year. On all three return trips, the domestic segments did not clear for an upgrade (two DFW-RDU, one LAX-CLT). For the year, these are the only three domestic segments I have had that have not upgraded. My spend is $40k+ so generally I am usually at or near the very top of the list.

On Friday, upon arriving at the Flagship Lounge at LAX (previous segment was CX HKG-LAX in PE so not a SWU issue, though the other two trips I used SWU - once successfully, once not), I asked them to check on my upgrade. The agent told me “well that’s odd, you are not on the list.” I had noticed earlier (this was approx T-2) that my name was not on the upgrade list, but when looking at the list of segments in the itinerary it clearly showed “Requested, complimentary for Mr Razzaba”

i dont recall the first flight of the year from Asia, but do recall stopping at the Admirals Club in Dallas on the last trip and not seeing my name on the list prior to asking.

Back to LAX...The agent then added me to the list, I was #1, but 16/16 had already checked in and alas no one misconnected or no-showed.

My concern is that if I am not showing up on the list st the airport, I’m not on the list at the upgrade window or any time between then and whenever I ask at the club to be added.

Has anyone else experienced this or anything similar?
What you experienced is not uncommon if your upgrade didn't clear in advance and your first flight on an itinerary is not on AA.

When your upgrade hasn't cleared and you check in with American (be it online, app or at a kiosk), the system is programmed to automatically place you on the upgrade list. When checking with with AA via an agent, they are supposed to key in the functions to have you added to the list.

However if you are checking in with an airline other than AA, that airline will check you in for the connecting flights on AA but their systems just check you in and have no way of adding you to the AA upgrade list. An AA agent at an airport would have to manually add you to the list.

I doubt you wrongly missed out on any upgrades especially since the reservations show that the upgrades were requested. But just remember those upgrade requests stop "processing" at the 3 1/2 prior to departure mark when the processing is then left to the airport off of the airport list.