FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)
View Single Post
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:29 am
Super Mario

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I don't know if I fully believe it is in their best interest to expand these lounges, for a number of reasons. Some, maybe. I suppose if all of the customers being turned away are worth the extra expense, then it might make sense. I don't have the numbers to know. We believe that being a "customer" of anything makes you super-important. That is far from the case. I'd be willing to bet there's a good number of guests entering that don't warrant expensive Airport expansion.

I think this is an identity problem for American Express. First off, why was this lounge created, and for what target market? It's not meant to beg all cardholders to stay members. The name Centurion is a premium brand for them. Their Centurion card is extremely exclusive, yet their Centurion lounge is available to anyone who wants to "buy a membership". Seems like strange marketing to me.

It would be hard to argue that they are targeting the big spender. Perhaps the business traveler is a large one. Why would someone continue to pay the Centurion card annual fee to share a crowded lounge with kids and families? What is the reason for holding this card? I'd cancel in a heartbeat. Centurion should remain a premium brand available to Centurion card holders and maybe those who hit a minimum spend on eligible cards. If American Express wants to be in the mass-market lounge game, they should open a mass-market lounge brand separate from Centurion.