FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC Comments on Proposed Transportation Modernization Act (Passenger Bill of Rights)
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:23 pm
rehoult

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Why would the Transportation Minister try to prevent Gabor Lukas et al. from defending passenger rights ? It sounds like he cares more about airlines than passengers.
While it looks bad, it's really about keeping the rules for this topic in line with most other areas of law: you can't sue people for stuff that doesn't impact you.

I can't sue Uber for allowing pervasive sexual harassment of it's employees, because I'm not (and have never been) an employee. But under the SCC ruling, right now I can complain to the CTA or sue Air Canada for having rules that discriminate against [insert topic of choice... obesity, race, age, etc..] despite it not impacting me.

In reality it probably won't change much, except change the name of the cases, as the consumer advocates will just find someone who was impacted to be the plaintiff in their lawsuits. And if they can't find someone, well then perhaps it's not actually an issue and shouldn't be tying up government/court resources.

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 12, 2018 at 4:41 pm Reason: off topic political