FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 3-4 weeks in Alaska on a shoestring budget – suggestions?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:04 pm
Catweazle

Programs: QF, HH
Similarly will be visiting in November for about the same length of time but since I'll be flying in from Australia via HNL and SEA, I won't have my camping gear with me. Just extreme cold weather clothes same as anyone else would wear.

I've heard that the Chena hot springs near Fairbanks is worth visiting, and will be exploring Anchorage in my first week. Apparently there's a few nice trails east of ANC. From what I've seen so far, most folks tend to visit in the summer. That's when most of the cruises and tours operate.

The thing is, who knows what the weather will be like that time of the year. My guess is that it could be anywhere between 1C and -35C. Is it mostly dark then or will there be some light?

Moreover, Fairbanks is situated in flatter terrain. Personally I'm in awe of mountains and the higher the better. Denali national park is beaut, but how easy is it to visit without camping in a tent? Perhaps I should hire a car, although I'm not sure if a two-wheel drive car would cope with the ice and snow if there was a big thick dumping. I've noticed that the south east foot of Alaska is more mountaineous - what's the best way to visit and any thoughts/suggestions on day hikes? If the weather isn't too bad, perhaps a kayak tour but I'm not keen on paying upwards of $1000+ just for 2 nights paddling. For that price, heck, I could buy a kayak and take a week gliding from glacier to glacier, if you discount the logistics of food and shelter lol