FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:25 am
CHOPCHOP767

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by IndyDave
This is exactly what happened to me with Delta. Lifetime Plat (annually renewable), then Diamond added.
Even worse, I suppose for us Lifetime Gold folks, which is apparently meaningless in the new program.

Part of me is happy about a spend requirement: two years ago, I used a Marriott Executive Apartment in the ME for 9 months at a rate of around $270 per night. Since this was a Executive Apartment, the points earnings were pathetic (1 elite night credit for every three nights stayed). Whereas, had I spent 9 months at some Courtyard off an interstate in the States at a rate around $100 per night, I'd get full elite credit, for spending $3,000 a month as opposed to $8,000 per month.

The part of me that is less thrilled with a spending requirement is the likelihood that MR will simply add the spending requirement without any commensurate increase in benefits...

Still, can't say I'm surprised. As soon as the airlines introduced spending requirements, it was only a matter of time for hotels...