FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai
View Single Post
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:38 am
Toronto1970

Programs: United Premier 1K
Greetings from Hangzhou!

Just a heads up about a slight hiccup that we ran into on our flight here under this deal.

When we booked last fall, we originally bought EWR-HKG-HGH. Within the 24 hour free change period, I changed the ticket to EWR-ORD-HKG-HGH.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago when we actually flew. Once I checked in for the United flights, I was able to check in no problem on the Cathay app to get seat assignments and a mobile boarding pass for the HKG-HGH leg.

We had checked bags (I know, I know) and knew we had to give Cathay Dragon the bag tag numbers. The line at the transfer desk was long, so since we had mobile boarding passes we decided just to do it at the gate.

When we presented ourselves at the gate they were shocked to see us. They said that we had been offloaded from the flight since the system showed that we were not on board our UA EWR-HKG flight as per our ticket. We showed them our UA itin showing the EWR-ORD-HKG routing we actually did take.

There was a bit of panic amongst the group of gate agents, with our passports and baggage tags moving constantly back and forth between them. After about 10 minutes and lots of typing, we were back on the flight, but we no longer had seats together.

So moral of the story - if you make any change to your itinerary with UA, make sure they push the changed PNR to Cathay!

(I’m curious though - do the gate agents get an automatic notification that we weren’t on the flight as per their PNR, even if it’s from another alliance? I assume they must since they offloaded us)

Last edited by Toronto1970; Apr 10, 2018 at 3:53 am