FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hapuna Beach Resort, Waimea, Hawaii [to become a Westin Spring 2018 after renovation]
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:35 pm
TravelGuy35

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by jpdx
This property does give upgrades to very nice ocean-view rooms and suites. For a lot of people, that's a key benefit of SPG Plat status. Admittedly, the $10 copay for breakfast is weak (and when we were there, inconsistently administered), but most Hawaii Starwood hotels have dabbled in various breakfast options at various times -- continental only with no option to buy up (on plate delivered to table or take from continental part of buffet), buy up with cash supplement, free full buffet. The Big Island is a completely different market than Honolulu (where lounges are also widely offered by other brands). The Starwood alternative to the Hapuna is the Sheraton, which is old and run-down, has no beach, and a dreadful lounge. Or you can stay at one of the Marriotts, where benefits are minimal -- good luck getting an ocean view upgrade at the neighboring Mauna Kea. I agree that it would be nice if the Hapuna were to offer the full buffet for free, and maybe throw in a couple welcome drinks, but IMO these benefits are not deal-breakers: for 12k points per night, you're getting a large, newly refurbished room with an ocean view, on a beautiful beach in an amazing location. The Hapuna is far ahead of anything else SPH has in the islands except SR Princeville -- enjoy it while it's a steal and don't fret about the lack of a lounge or a $10 breakfast copay.
Well aren't you just the eternal optimist?!

Kidding aside, your comment is appreciated. I just hope that the gauge for quality elite benefits doesn't become a race to the bottom, with comparisons to other brands. I've been a past member of the Fairmont President's Club and found that while the properties are limited, they offer really great recognition (including upgrades) that are meaningful. If the Marriot standard becomes the norm, beginning next year, I think there will be some significant disappointment and brand depreciation.

Based on your comments, I take it that you've stayed at the property since its refurbishment. A few questions:
  • Can you explain the co-pay? I'm assuming we get a vouchers for a continental breakfast that can be upgraded/supplemented for $10 per person for a full breakfast?
  • How would you characterize the guest experience, overall (i.e. how were the staff; was your status recognized at check-in, etc.)?
  • You mention that the property is far ahead of anything SPG has on the islands, exempting SR Princeville on Kauai. That's a pretty sizable claim...is it really a step-up over the time share properties on Maui or the Waikik properties? I'm REALLY curious for your view, if that's the case (i.e. why do you rate it that highly)?
Cheers!