FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First trip with 6 month old.... questions
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:44 pm
FindAWay

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by njxbean
So preparing for the first trip with our 6 month old. First, i need a carry on. The goal being to carry everything for the kid. I am going back and forth between a full size carry on(right at the airline limits, but likely wont fit on a regional) or an underseat carry on(more flexibility but holds less). Any thoughts from those that have been there? Im assuming this bag will hold everything from diapers to formula/breastmilk, to wipes, etc. Underseat does seem best but in my 3 trips this year none of them involve a regional. Not to mention we have bulkhead on all of these flights.

We were going to rent a car seat with Avis but decided against it and will bring ours and check it. We will also bring a stroller and gate check that. Any tips for navigating the flight? Board first? Board last? Should we consider a pre-emptive tylenol? or is that unnecessary? Im told we should either feed him or have him suck on a paci during take off/landing to help with this as well.

Any other tips/tricks?
Thanks.
You'll get through it! You'll definitely need diapers and milk/formula on-board. Plan for having to sit on the plane for extra long (in case of departure delays, etc.). At that age, our son still generally slept on flights (like how the car put him to sleep). Our diaper bag is a backpack that fits under our the seat in front of us - we definitely bring that and don't have the fear in case of a regional aircraft. We always bring our own car seat. We don't give any pre-emptive tylenol. We did try to feed on-board right before taxi/take-off and use a pacifier during take-off (not sure it was necessary, though).

What time of day is your flight? Is that during a normal nap time?

Lap infant? Or, separate seat with ability to bring car seat on-board? We've done both many times....much easier with the second.

Are you traveling alone or with another adult? The more caregivers, the easier!

How long is the flight(s)? Domestic or international?