FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trip report: China Southern (CZ) Business Class BOS-JFK-CAN-ADL
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:05 pm
aa777888

Trip report: China Southern (CZ) Business Class BOS-JFK-CAN-ADL

To summarize:

CZ is fine unless you miss a connection in CAN--then you are doomed. Other than the mob scene for boarding, air-side has their .... together, just don't try to take them off-script unless you speak the language. Point and grunt comm's work fine, they expect it. Food is palatable and plentiful, drink is the same, service is attentive. Seating is good. Entertainment is good although you have to look around a lot of Chinese subtitles. Don't fly the A380 unless you like it. Club access and facilities are good. If you are an infrequent J class passenger, as I am, you will enjoy it. If you are a premium J class type it will all be a step down. Set your expectations accordingly.

Missed connections in CAN: initially you will have zero say in the matter and re-booking will take forever. Plan to hit the front ticket counter land-side ASAP and plead your case. Doing the CZ supplied visa/hotel thing if you are stuck overnight is an adventure unless you speak Chinese. Plan to jump queues Chinese style if required.

A quick report on the outbound trip (and see return trip report below):

Booked through cheapoair. First time booking with them. The only disconcerting thing is that there is no access or control over the CZ legs except through them. All attempts to look at the itinerary on the CZ web site fail.

First leg BOS-JFK. Check in and bag check with the outbound domestic leg partner, Delta, was unremarkable with the exception that they were able to give me my boarding pass for the JFK-CAN connection, which was an unexpected and welcome convenience. Also, given this was a normal domestic leg, I was able to enjoy TSA pre-check privileges. The bus. class itinerary gained me entry to the Delta lounge at BOS which was also welcome as I had a couple of hours to kill. The BOS lounge is basic and competent and I had a small breakfast there, but no hot food available. First class cabin on a CRJ, nothing special to report.

I had a three hour layover in JFK. Again was able to enjoy the much more substantial Delta lounge there. The available breakfast foods were hot, creative and delicious. Very nice lounge with all the amenities. I proceeded to the gate one hour ahead of departure time to find the entire economy class looking like they had been queued up for hours. 90% Asian folks, going home or visiting I suppose. I figured this was cultural but figured wrong. It turns out CZ has no boarding groups or order, it's every man, woman and child for themselves! This includes the priority folks and we queued up, too, although it was much less of an issue for us, of course. I was also able to get the last leg boarding pass from the gate agents before boarding, so that was handy.

16A on a 777-300, which in the configuration flown was a true window seat with the side table on the aisle, which was nice. I knew it was going to be a crap shoot on the side table arrangement and lucked out. It would have been no problem anyway as bus. class was empty, only like 10 pax. and I could have moved almost anywhere. Surprisingly little room under the foot rest, otherwise standard bus. class pod, very comfortable. The supplied comforter was nice, but the cabin was kept so warm (too warm) that I found it unnecessary. Service and experience was as accurately described in all of the other CZ business class threads, that is to say "fast and furious!" They have a process and don't mess with it! NO early or late trips to the lav., they are "closed" on climb-out and descent. Thanks to the other threads I knew to hook up my shoulder belt. Food came very soon after departure and courses proceeded rapidly on the main meal. Eat fast or wind up with a lot of plates on your tray! Put finished dishes on the armrest and they are cleared promptly, don't and they will stay there. All a cultural thing, I think. Language barriers were there, but not insurmountable, just some grunting and pointing required Food was extremely plentiful and for the most part quite palatable. They offered more food than I could consume! Liquids of all types were plentiful and cheerfully delivered on demand. Lav. was HUGE and CLEAN throughout the entire flight. Hot towel services were lukewarm, at best.

I changed into my (self-provided) PJ's after main meal, finished my movie (not a huge selection IMHO) and fourth glass of champagne, and tried to sleep but did not do a good job of it, only getting about 4 hours. As luck would have it, I woke up for the second meal which they served at the halfway point and not at all near the end of the flight. I did not care for the timing of the second meal. At any rate I managed to fall asleep after that and got another 4 hours so no second movie, etc.

It seems that CZ is using a different, non-international, terminal at CAN for loading/unloading international flights, as we had to descend stairs to waiting buses to go over to the international terminal. First and bus. class had their own private "VIP" marked bus. Then more stairs into the terminal. Then, oddly, a security checkpoint with x-ray and T-wave scanner. No need to empty pockets or bags, liquids were OK, and everyone got a wand and a pat-down, too. Weird. But all efficiently done.

I was jealous of the appearance of the other, very fancy, club at the terminal, but alas I have no cred's for it and used the CZ/Sky Pearl club for my 7 hour layover. While a bit worn on the inside, it was nevertheless very serviceable and comfortable. Had a quick snack from the hot food buffet, then used one of their spacious and clean shower rooms. Slippers, robe and towels all supplied. Very nice! Sat and computed for a while on the quiet second floor area, then went back downstairs two hours before flight time for a full dinner, which was quite good. I wanted to dine there because the CAN-ADL leg was a 9 hour red-eye and I knew I wanted to try to sleep the entire way.

Same epic mob-scene queue for this departure. As priority cabin people came up the priority lane they had a special VIP handler agent who herded us off to the side. We were all put on a separate VIP bus. The thundering herd of economy were put on other buses, sent off and sat down before us. So while that got everyone out of our way, when the 1st and bus. cabins boarded last it was a bit rushed as they wanted to go.

3C on an A330, which put me on the aisle side of someone else, but again the cabin was less then half full so I asked to move to the window of an empty row and was allowed. Only three other bus. class pax. had to sit next to someone else. Standard lay-flat bus. class seats. Nobody in the four 1st class pods. Clearly some pro travelers on this leg, as literally everyone got ready for bed immediately after climb-out. I changed into PJs and asked for some champagne. Wine and spirits selection was superior on this leg, with a separate wine list provided. Champagne was Taittinger. That wound up being three glasses and a bowl of nuts so got to sleep about an hour after the entire rest of the cabin. Set an alarm on my phone and hit the hay. Phone woke me perfectly 30 min's before breakfast, so I was able to dress and freshen up before the meal, which came right on time 3 hours before landing. Did I say these CZ folks have a rigid process? Most people woke and ate in their PJs, then freshened up, but I like to do it the other way to avoid competition over the lav, so I guess I have a process, too

Staff were unfailingly pleasant and concerned for your comfort, but you can throw them by trying deviate from their scripted service. Just don't mess with the script, i.e. don't try to change a main meal, just ask for extra stuff which, falling outside of the script, is rapidly and cheerfully handled. I have little experience with Asian cultures but found it all very Germanic in its desire for precision and consistency. This helps with any language difficulties as well. Service was definitely more attentive on the CAN-ADL leg. They sent their most adept English speaker to administer a verbal customer satisfaction survey to me near the end of that leg, which was interesting. Finally, flights were on time, and the CZ pilots have a different style of flying, with a lot of throttle movement, which, as a pilot myself, I took notice of.

More to follow next week when I hit the skies for the return trip, ADL-CAN-LAX-BOS.

Last edited by aa777888; Apr 19, 2018 at 8:59 pm Reason: To add return trip details