FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - August&September mean expensive flights US to China
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:18 am
travelinmanS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
From MSP, I would consider anything under about $6000 to be a good business class RT fare to China, assuming that it's reasonably convenient in terms of carrier, schedule, aircraft type, etc. I am assuming flat beds and really want 100% direct aisle access in business class.

For the OP's dates, I wonder whether the return flight is driving up the price as August/September is the season when a huge number of Chinese students travel to the USA. I've seem long immigration lines to enter the USA due to this effect. To me, it would make sense that the demand is big enough to affect inventory class availability or revenue management in general.
You're right about the school effect. This is the main reason for high fares. I know more than a few students who’s parents think nothing of flying them in first or biz class. Thankfully we may not have to worry about these high fares much longer as Chinese and other foreign students look to more “welcoming” counties going forward.

Unless you're using OPM then you shouldn’t ever pay $6000 from anywhere in the USA for biz class to China. Deals from gateways can usually be found for close to $3000. Add a domestic round trip from your starting point and you’re still well under 4K. SFO/LAX/NYC/YYZ/ORD and YVR seem to be the best bets.