FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Important Pet Safety Resource (and need airline contacts)
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:29 pm
jcwoman

Thumbs up Important Pet Safety Resource (and need airline contacts)

Hi Everyone, this is a two-part post. First, I want to introduce you all to The Center for Pet Safety (sorry, no link because I don't want to look like a spammer, but you can google the name and find them). They are like the consumer product safety commission for pet products. It's a relatively new non-profit organization that does real, scientific, and truly unbiased testing of products. For example, lots of kennel manufacturers claim their kennels are unbreakable, but the CPS actually does crash testing. You can read details and watch test videos on their website. The reason I mention them here is that due to the recent apparent increase of news stories of pets dying on airlines, they want to do some testing of airline travel crates.

First, they need funding to do this, so consumer donations are always welcome. But possibly more important, pet owners who fly with their pets need to support CPS' testing initiative in social media and directly to the airlines. They're having trouble getting airlines to allow them to conduct on board tests.

I believe that the first airline who agrees to partner in a testing program like this will really benefit from the public relations campaign that will result and use it in their marketing. They can partner with CPS to increase their live animal cargo statistics (long term).

Lastly, does anybody here know any airline contacts who might be interested in helping? If so, please PM me. We'd also be happy to talk to someone from IATA and A4A.