FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Award - BKK-TPE-IAH - Available for 1, not 2
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:25 am
dvs7310

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mdinius
Thank you for all the insight! I'm all for flying the 24th, however the wife has nixed that idea.

I'm okay waiting a little while longer, but as you mentioned, I'm very nervous with the holiday travelers. My mind keeps coming back to booking separate itineraries for my wife and I since they're available for one person. Any word of caution to booking the separate itineraries? I'm the only one with status and it's the lowly Silver through Marriott.

As for insurance, I would pay the $100 premium to change the flights to the same itinerary if it becomes available later.
I think that's your answer then, book CA now to ensure that you are both booked into business class the whole way there. Pay the $100 (each ticket) to change if something more desirable opens up for both of you before departure. Personally considering that you want to fly the 23rd, your spouse won't accept arriving late the 24th, then take what's available as there is certainly no guarantee anything else will become available. The CA flight from PEK-IAH isn't bad, it's their 77W which has a nice premium cabin. I forget what the BKK-PEK flight is, probably the A333 which is generally ok (hard product), and fine for just sleeping which is what you'll be doing anyway as it's an overnight flight.

Otherwise, not necessarily any problem with booking separate itineraries except cases of irrops. In irrops you'd be prioritized slightly over your spouse since you have Star Alliance Silver status and she doesn't. If you're on the same itinerary you get looked at together. I honestly wouldn't do it just to fly BR as there is a fair chance one of you is stuck in the back. Set an alert to check ever few days or a week instead to see if the route opens up for 2 people in C. Expertflyer can do that for you automatically. I've done that quite a few times in the past when I've desired a better award itinerary and it works well, but I've had free changes on UA awards for quite a few years, so I don't even hesitate to book now and change later, especially for holiday period flights.