FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Re-discovering SQ in J after 4 years: now as a lifetime *G & traveling solo! Advice?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:21 am
AvidFlyer1990

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by wavery83
Hi,

Just returned from a 15 hr layover at Changi. 18:00 - 09:00. Despite other recommendations on multiple pages, my wife insisted on staying the airport and not booking a room - even the ambassador short-term ones. We were in Suites but I can safely say you're not missing much from not being in TPR imho though the staff were very helpful. What we were reasonably impressed with was at the early hours you can find a padded bench to lie down on in the SK lounge and they give you blankets and pillows. No buffet offering between 1am and 5am from what I could see. Food pretty decent from the buffet. We also went to the cinema in T2 which was a bit of a mistake as it was basically used as a sleeping room. The one at T3 looked more respectable but didn't have the same movie selection. Did want to look at the PP lounges but didn't get round to it. The other disappointment was the lack of storage areas in the lounges. They sent us to the pay for storage areas which will store your carry on bags for about 4 $S (half the 24hr rate).

If I was to do this again I think I would probably hop in a cab and spend the time walking around the marina area and get some fresh food. At least that would kill 5 hrs. I would also consider getting a pay per hour room in the transit area. We were just trying to stay up to chase the sun. The other decent rest area is at the lounge level next to the double storey LV outlet in T3. Lots of good chairs there which are more comfortable than the lounge.

Definitely a great airport to be in for a layover.

Just commenting briefly on meal options. Made the mistake of ordering a non-seafood option on SilkAir and ended up with a v tepid chicken breast salad (no sauce) rather than the tasty looking beef rendang. I wasn't given the option to trade. With BTC - The angus burger was excellent but the wagyu beef (dry though well seasoned) was a huge disappointment. The stewards didn't appear to know what they were doing with it which I was surprised with.

Will
Thanks for the layover tips, Will! It's good to know that they hand out pillows and blankets at the lounge. Was just wondering, is it only at the First Class section of SKL / TPR, or do they hand those out even in the J class section?

Also, haven't been to SIN in about a year, so, might head into the city too!!