FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming AS Route Cuts
View Single Post
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:21 am
Snowdevil

Originally Posted by tusphotog

Fair enough. But all the new options on the Airbus are flown with the full schedule (DEN, ORD etc). Once those aircraft are freed up, it’s unknown where they go. Unless they’re trying to build slack in the fleet.

SEA-DCA originally was flown with 737-900s back in 2001. My memory is hazy, but I believe they were required to fly the -900s because they didn’t have 757s, which is what TWA was using at the time. The first 737-800 didn’t show up on property until 2006.

When DCA reopened after 9/11, they flew the route with a 73G. I don’t believe the 900ER can get out of DCA without the possibility of payload restrictions.
It wasn't a "requirement" per se, but when AS applied for the beyond-perimeter SEADCA route, the initial application was for 73G service. The DOT advised AS they'd wanted to see more capacity offered, and so the application was amended to the then-new 739. It was subsequently awarded to AS, and flown for precisely 7 days until the attacks on 9/11/01. Once DCA was reopened to commercial traffic, the flight resumed with a 73G, reflecting lower demand at that time.