FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel as companion to person with Alzheimer's/ dementia
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:22 pm
GeezerCouple

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
So inspiring - thank you!

Well!
I just stumbled upon this thread, and read it from start to finish, non-stop.

I don't know how to explain my reactions (plural, definitely).
I am in awe of your patience. You are both very fortunate to have had so many years together, and hopefully your travels will continue.

We are dealing with what is admittedly minor mobility problems (mine), and we've found a variety of ways to make suitable accommodations. When traveling, we always have a private tour/guide, so that I can rest "whenever", and also not worry about holding back other people. Or we determine in advance that there *will* be convenient places to rest without interfering with the others, etc.

And the wheelchair assistance at the airport has been invaluable. We made the mistake (once!) of believing the "it's not far" claim when a wheelchair didn't show up, and then we were stranded. At least DH was able to go search for help.
[And one of the few times I traveled alone, some time ago, but after surgery because of a medical emergency in another family member 'cross country... Well, one wheelchair attendant "left me" in a lonely location where "the electric cart" would pick me up. Except... they were ALL full, one after the other. I had allowed a long connection, but after almost an hour... almost entirely by myself.. I bit the bullet and dialed 911. I got the local state police, no surprise, and they were remarkably responsive to the situation. "All of a sudden" lots of assistance (and assistants) showed up, and I was treated almost like royalty (not that I know how that is, ahem) until the plane departed a few hours later.]

A few thoughts: About meds... We don't do this *yet*, but we probably will soon, as we both take what seems to be assorted meds with some sort of enhanced fertility or something... they just keep multiplying
There is a service (probably several) that will package your meds (also vitamins/non Rx items) in individual tiny ziplock type bags (each in order of use!) each labelled with the contents and time to be taken. It appears to be a roll... just tear the "next one" that shows through the little box/dispenser.
Thus far, our concern has been, as mentioned above, crossing international borders with a seemingly exotic selected of "pills". For now, we ask our pharmacy to give us the smallest size container for <x days' worth> of each med, properly labelled. We also carry copies of the original Rx plus a letter from the physician for any "questionable" meds, such as pain pills or injectibles.
When necessary (Japan comes to mind), we had some pre-arrival email exchanges, and we completed a variety of forms to get approvals. We also learned, for example, that we could each take 2 Epipens, but that one of us could not take 3, so we had all labelled appropriately.

I have finally convinced DH that it really IS okay if he ventures off to see something, and I wait behind. We both benefit from that, of course.

We are also planning, should such a time come, that we will bring along someone to "assist", so that "the other one of us" isn't too burdened. And as has been pointed out, sometimes *one* person cannot do it all... attend to "what needs to be done", while also making sure the other person remains safe and comfortable. Both of our families have histories of Parkinsons or Alzheimers, plus there is my physical condition, which seems stable... for now.

We've also adjusted our planned schedules so that we don't have tight connections, and we allow *plenty* of time to get to the airport. Usually there is some sort of lounge we can use in comfort, but if not, we just park ourselves right near the gate, and... relax...
And thanks to lots of awards/points, we now travel any long-haul flights in F or J. Shorter trips, Jet Blue is still hard to beat, with the extra legroom.

We are trying to take some non-cruise trips while we can, although we love cruises. Those do help, given that fewer "transfers" of various sorts are needed, obviously.

JDiver, it's so nice that you could find "floor plans" of cabins/suites on a ship that matches the set up at home.
But in case wandering becomes more of a problem, have you considered doing something like putting a couple of bells on the door knob of the door into the hallway? (I did that sort of thing decades ago, when backpacking with two little children; we didn't go far or fast, obviously! The problem that time, with a bell on the zipper of the pup tent front and back, was that every time a child turned over, the bells jangled. But that was the point, after all... It worked a bit better in hotels, so I didn't need to worry about "what if I sleep too soundly, and one of them wanders out of the room...)

I love the colorful and distinctive material used to hold the key-card. What a clever idea.
(I also *really* like the little folding travel tray, including for right here at home!)

Your renewal of vows was such a loving thought, for several reasons as you pointed out.

I look forward to reading about more of your travels, and also to learning more "handy hints" about traveling when there are extra "difficulties" of whatever type.

And yes, Best Wishes to you and Lady JDiver on what should be another anniversary approaching!

GC