FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Medallion punished for booking Basic Economy?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:13 pm
Often1
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ethernal
You can play games with language, but punished is not the wrong word to use here.

Medallions suffer greater restrictions than the average passenger when buying an E ticket. This is, de facto, a punishment. Just because it is clearly stated does not mean it is not punishment.
Calling it a "game" is exactly why you can't see the forest for the trees.

From the customer perspective, all that matters is value. "Am I receiving the service I want for a price I am willing to pay?" Nothing more and nothing less. If a freebie UG to C+/F is part of your value proposition than BE is poor value. If paying the lowest price possible to get from A to B is your value than BE is good value.

Your bottom line proposition that BE is a devaluation of Medallion status simply ignores the fact that people choose to fly BE. Medalions choosing to purchase BE have devalued themselves and have nobody to blame but themselves. Unless saving some money matters and bearing in mind that what a ticket used to cost is irrelevant.