FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Brando (French Polynesia)
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:34 am
MacMyDay

Thanks, KatW - I will get my twinkle toes on too

Day 3 of The Brando and I really, really love this property.

The food is exceptional. So much so that we I think it is not only the best food I've ever had on a private island, but the best of any resort I've been to. Their ability to do fine dining on an all-inclusive basis puts a shame on Cheval Blanc. Even their casual dining and bar food is superb.

The room is great and leaves me wanting for nothing, the scenery is beautiful, the spa is the best I've ever seen on a private island, the facilities are wonderful and it's very private. There are so many touches of thoughtfulness in the way this property was built that I will begin to feel others are outdated in their approach.

The biggest downside, and it always is, is what Larkin experienced with the service. They all try, everyone is very friendly and the management are great, but there are too many mistakes from the average worker, often regarding forgetfulness. Just like Laucala, there is a huge emphasis on employing the local community, and French Polynesia is clearly not on the same level as Asian hospitality, nor in fact most of Europe. I know some people will wonder why you should come somewhere at these prices when service is not perfect, but having been to almost all their competition I know full well the same is very much present there too (although second visit to North Island was quite flawless). You can easily pay twice as much and receive no different. I'm willing to accept it, be a bit more patient and work with it by knowing who to ask to get something done, in return for everything else they offer. I'm in no rush anyway. If you come here, do not come expecting Aman, but do expect everything else to be pretty perfect.

Some pictures here: