FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Involuntary downgrade; can I wait for next available premium seat?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:01 am
jonsail

Programs: Mileage Plus
Interesting replies. Some more background: When I checked My Delta flights I saw the impossible connection in AMS with a note to call Delta. I called Delta and they declined my offer to overnight in AMS at my own expense because of a different fare class. If I had been thinking better, I would have said, "What's the problem, I am only asking for a 22 hour connection in AMS," but I didn't think of that then. Delta then wanted to fly us out of ARN on a 6am flight. I said that was unacceptable and they came back with a 9am departure from ARN. Perhaps, I was too quick to agree but I did. Then when I called Delta back to see if we could do something else, Delta said to call my travel agent Seabourn. I called Seabourn who said it was now in Delta's hands because I made the change with Delta. In setting up the original flights Charl Smith of Seabourn spent a lot of time working with me get the RT price down to $2,050 each so I'm still happy with Seabourn. (To get that price we fly into HAM instead of CPN, but we're happy to spend a couple of day in HAM and take the train from HAM to CPN.)

Lesson learned: When the airline forces a change and invites you to call, carefully think out all of your arguments and options before calling.