FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can One Board a Flight to the US with an Expired US Passport?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:56 pm
BigFlyer

Not to be too pedantic - OK, I confess I love to be pedantic - but I assume you meant to refer to US citizens, not US Nationals. US Nationals are people born in American Samoa.

In fact, some of them just sued today to be considered citizens by virtue of being born in American Samoa: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...enship-n860721

Originally Posted by Often1
This.

A US national cannot be denied entry to the US by the US. So, if OP makes it to immigration on landing, he may get a bit of extra scrutiny, but once everything checks out, he will be fine.

But, I can't think of a carrier which would permit OP to board a flight to the US. That is all the more so if OP is boarding at an airport near a US consulate which can, of course, issue a temporary passport replacing document (emergency passport).

This is not to suggest that there is not some ray of hope somewhere that this might occur. But, only by a carrier employee willing to put his job on the line.