FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Best Strategies for Receiving an Upgrade" thread
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:29 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lrbenko
I can't even remember a time in the last four years that the word "upgrade" was used during check in, let alone actually getting an upgrade. Is this just a benefit that no longer realistically exists with Hilton? In general I've noticed an overall decline in the quality of Hilton products and service in the last few years. The properties are looking a little outdated, and again, I have personally not been upgraded in years. Any one else have this experience?
For background, I've been Hilton Diamond since about 2007/2008.
Gold upgrading in 2007 was far better than Diamond upgrading in 2018.

I've always found the quality of the main Hilton and Doubletree brands to be more variable/erratic than that of Marriott, Renaissance, Westin, or Hyatt. I don't think that's a *new* thing.

By contrast, I've generally found the quality of a Hampton, Embassy, HGI, and Homewood to be better than most of their direct competition.

Upgrades scarce at all of them, of course.

I don't ever expect big suite upgrades to come back - not with occupancy levels so high across the board and all of the elite tiers being rather easy to get for anyone who's paying attention. My only hope for HH would be that within the next year or so the OLCI and Digital Key process will get more consistent, get better at showing me all of the non-suite rooms that are bookable ahead of time, and work every time at every hotel. I guess I'm saying I'd rather see all of the little mini-upgrade possibilities and be able to pick one than have to go to the front desk, ask if any suites are available, get told no, and get sent to a crappy room.